blogger visitor

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A message


Leonardo da Vinci, Vatruvian Man (1487)

Last nights yoga class was amazing. The summer heat and humidity meant that the heaters were not required. It wasn't long before I had created enough internal heat to begin sweating. As I tried to reconnect to my fading practice, I felt strong. It felt good to return to a class I once considered a regular and a favourite.

I never anticipate the message I pick up on during class but I always seem to receive one. And tonight's message was to remember that the ninety minutes I spend in class is for me. Even though there is a class full of other yogi's with similar intentions, the teacher reminded us to close our eyes and imagine there was no-one else around. This draws the attention within to what we feel, rather than relying on the mirrors or what we think the posture should look like. Sometimes, this is counter productive and we lose our balance. But I find it does help. Closing the eyes assists in creating a better focus and as our strength improves, so does our balance.

And I did make this class about me, for me. I concentrated on my breath to flow with every move. I shut my mind to the chatter and distraction. I focused on my practice only. It was exhilarating.

No comments:

Post a Comment