blogger visitor

Monday, October 5, 2009

Presence

Lady Lilith, Dante Gabriel Rossetti 1868

Sunday yoga is like my own personal religion. I make it a habit to go each week and the varying times in classes means that I can usually fit it in around social commitments. Yesterday I consciously decided that the class would be about me. I don’t mean that in an egotistical manner but rather that I would not look at or worry what other practitioners were doing. I would keep the focus on my breath and each breath would flow with movement. By the time the class was almost over, I did not want it to be. I honestly felt that this was exactly where I wanted to be, where I should be.

By staying present in the moment, in each breath, in each asana, I connected to my vinyasa and was able to flow. I opened my heart and my mind, pushing a little bit further in some poses and in others recognising fatigue. Maybe it was the the full moon or inclement weather that allowed me to be so present. Regardless, herein lies the ultimate challenge in yoga as we struggle to switch off the mind chatter, ignore the surrounding sights and sounds and just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment