blogger visitor

Monday, June 28, 2010

Strength

One legged Chaturanga

When I first began practicing Power Yoga, I realised just how little upper body strength I actually had. For months my arms and shoulders ached from holding Down Dog and trying to master Chaturanga, both key elements of the Sun Salutation Vinyasa. As my practice became more familiar, I also grew stronger.

Gradually I have been able to attempt some poses that I once thought would be impossible for me to achieve. My body has slowly begun to open up, allowing me to move deeper into my practice. I like the term 'practice' because I think I will always be a novice and every class is exactly that - practice.

But I can now look back and feel grateful for all the aches and repetition of poses that have brought me to where I am in my yoga today. My body continues to change and life insists on providing new challenges. Every day is amazingly different and my strength continues to improve. Herein is yet another of the many available and astounding benefits of yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment