blogger visitor

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Self love

It was another relentless hot and humid day. The dishes were done and I had switched off my usual tunes whilst playing in the garden. I decided to sit outside and enjoy the last moments of daylight before the mosquitoes began to bite. The cats were playing in the grass, long needing yet another trim, which was always a treat to watch. Suddenly it was so very quiet. I could hear birds and crickets chirping, the trees leaves gently rustling in the breeze - nature. Just nature. It was beautiful. It was almost overwhelming.

At that moment I realised how so many people must feel lonely without noise or people around to keep them company. I too have been guilty of constantly having noise on – music or tv, even if I am not really paying attention to it. That constant chatter in the background is somehow comforting, perhaps filling a void. I understood that loneliness for a split second. And then I realised that embracing the quiet was really having the ability to be wholly and completely comfortable with myself. To enjoy my own company; to accept and be happy with who I am; to love myself.

I certainly do not profess to know it all, or to have all the answers. But like everyone, its a journey and a process that can become clearer through meditation and looking within. Some would call it soul searching I guess. For me, its a way of life. My last thought on this subject is a question. How can we honestly give to others if we have nothing to give? Giving is the greatest gift of all yet it we cannot find it within ourselves to accept and love who we are, how can we expect anyone else to?

No comments:

Post a Comment