blogger visitor

Monday, July 13, 2009

Classic stories

I recently finished reading the New York Times best seller Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.  This spoof was an absolute must read for me.  I love a good classic and have read the original several times. 

I suppose the Jane Austen die-hard would not be impressed by the Bennett sisters slaying of zombies known as the 'unmentionables' who seem to be a menace like the plague. It wasn't quite as amusing as I was hoping but I did manage a few out loud laughs, which is unusual for me. Although, I found my greatest anticipation was in waiting to find out how Charlotte Lucas would come to her demise.

Many books have been written in more recent times trying to capture Mr Darcy's version of the romantic novel in Mr Darcy's Diaries and the more sordid epilogue to Pride & Prejudice - Mr Darcy takes a wife.  The latter is more like a novel from the Mills & Boon collection but gives you all the raunchy tales of married life that Austen never dared to deliver on. 

And the list goes on.  You only need to google Mr Darcy to see what comes up or type in any number of combinations into Amazon books to see that this subject carries a great fascination. 

These are only the ones I have read but for now its back to serious reading with university about to kick off again. My current book list includes Bram Stoker's Dracula, so how happy am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment