blogger visitor

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Reach for the sky


Whilst watching the grace and elegance of tennis players like Roger Federer at the Australian Open, I noticed the extension of the players opposing racquet hand as they served or danced into place to return the ball. I first observed this whilst watching Dinara Safina practice. As she threw the ball into the sky and released it, the arm and hand extended back and upwards, flexing, guiding her body and ultimately the ball.

This interested me as an avid yoga practitioner since many of the yogic poses suggest flexing the hands with fingers outstretched, reaching for the sky and creating energy. The theory behind this is that the flexion creates a lighter feeling, and light is tight. So the arms feel much lighter when flexed and taught, rather than limp and hanging with heaviness, enabling the practitioner to hold the pose for a longer period of time. The extension of the hands and arms generate an openness, willing to receive light and energy with love.

Immediately I think of poses such as Extended Right Angle, Goddess/Exalted/Reverse Warrior or the full open Tree pose. But there are other poses that require the full extension of the arms and hands that are not pointed to the sky but forward, such as Warrior or Dancers pose.

Perhaps my observation came about by chance because I had recently attuned my focus to my hands during my practice. Regardless, this only reinforces to me the strength the hands and arms can carry merely by their intended direction. The power these amazing athletes enforce is mind blowing. The power of the mind and the body is even more incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment