blogger visitor

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Look up

During yogic balancing poses, I have recently changed my line of sight, my drishti, from the floor or midway to the ceiling. Sometimes I focus just at that point where the wall and ceiling meet. Certainly as a novice it is natural to look down to maintain balance and stability, but in time strength and confidence allow the eyes to move upwards.

I found in my own practice that by changing my drishti focal point in this way the pose becomes easier. Looking up creates a sense of lightness, a feeling of exultation.

It can be hard to remember to switch everything on in class: arms and thighs tight, stomach in, tilt the pelvis (moola bandha) and don’t forget to breathe – all in a heated room! My focus has been drawn to my feet, to consciously spread the toes and balance the weight evenly. Tightness and cramping meant that I had lost form, so this has been important for me.

For example, take Dancer’s pose. First I stand tall, spread my toes to ensure the weight is evenly distributed and I do not roll into my arches. Then I make sure my thighs and knees are strong but not locked out. I grab my right ankle with my right hand, left hand raises to the sky. I square my hips and look up to that special focal point on the ceiling. Inhale, as I exhale I gently, slowly kick back with my right leg to create a wonderful backbend. My left arm shoots out in a similar direction to my gaze. Gradually, the heart moves forward and down but the focus remains.

There is a lot to remember in every pose, in every practice, but the breath creates focus and eventually it falls into place. As I am often reminded, the eyes lead the way and the body will follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment